So, by now most people have figured out that ocean conservation is a subject dear to my heart and I'm a big supporter of the Seafood Watch program.
A couple of nights ago, while out grocery shopping for dinner (Stone Crab claws with tarragon butter) I was pondering steaks, chicken and the like and realized that it's very unfair for me to be discriminatory in my choices of protein. What makes fish more necessary to be sustainable than cows and poultry? This whole thought was rounded out by Borders giant display of vegetarian cookbooks all supporting the ideal of a Meatless Monday. I don't think I need to go that far though. So, for this month, I'm going to see if I can enact a lifestyle change with the following rules:
1. Meat (chicken, beef, pork, seafood, turkey) must be from sustainable sources, free range, grass fed, etc.
2. The only bread I'm eating will be that baked by me...or a friend who so happens to have a bread maker.
3. No pre-made, frozen or packaged meals.
4. No fast foods that don't follow rule number 1 (thankfully there's Chipotle).
5. Try to make a weekly trip to the Farmer's Market for vegetables and beef.
So, there's a simple start with five things to follow. We'll see how it goes. In the end, if I get totally frustrated with natural meat shopping - there's always sweet potatoes.
Happy munchings all!
This Month's Personal Food Challenge
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Posted by Local Radish at 9:23 AM
Labels: free range, grass fed beef, Sustainable seafood
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment