So Sustainability...

Friday, October 16, 2009

...Is very challenging.

I've been to three different grocery stores in the last 24 hours all in the name of a eco-friendly fish. After some extra information ferreting, apparently my swai is back on the okay listing. From a consumer's prospective though, trying to find a fish fillet you can feel good about is a very frustrating endeavor.

Whole Food's (Mayo location) seafood counter was a breath of fresh air (salty, fishy fresh air). Of their frozen selections, 3/4 seemed to have about a Marine Stewardship Label on them and the fresh options had even more. The staff was beyond helpful in finding further options amongst all the fillets and shellfish laid out. And laid out in the center of them all - fresh sea scallops.

I've never worked with fresh scallops before. There's the challenge of finding them in the first place and then convincing whomever you're with that "no, the frozen version for 1/2 the price just won't be the same, dear". And I can now definitively say that they're not.

Recipe-wise? Simplicity seemed best. Sauteed in pan with small amount of tarragon butter.

Mmm...bivalves.

0 comments: