The Case of the Screaming Monkey

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We are an extreme bunch of coffee loving people at work.

In a limited kitchen space, we've managed to cram a high class coffee maker and grinder onto a tiny little shelf wedged in between the fridge, microwave and water cooler.

There's pretty much only four of us who are really into the coffee, but we're serious about it. So if it's your turn to be out and about for more coffee, you had better pay more attention than simply grabbing the first brand off the shelf.

To save time, I thought I would stop off at the local Fry's for all my groceries combined with work's coffee needs (Sugar in the Raw, cream and coffee).

Once reaching the coffee aisle, I remember that it can't be just any coffee:

1. Coffee must be Fair Trade
2. Coffee should be organic
3. Coffee should be whole bean

A wall 14 feet long of Starbuck's, Peet's, Tully's and Dunkin' offered no such option.

So, 10 minutes later pondering whether it would be worse to have organic, but ground or non organic and whole bean - I have a variety of packages laid out in front of me (bear in mind, I haven't even mentioned roast preferences yet). With a cramp in my back, I stretch around and THERE is the teeny, tiny shelf of chai and coffees.

Sadly, no whole bean. But fair trade, dark roast and organic!

Bearing the name "Screaming Monkey!"

It was the most expensive coffee in the store and I bought it anyways.

0 comments: