Eating Your Way Across Arizona

Saturday, September 19, 2009

It's been a while, but I had some wonderful guests visit from Canada - both of whom eat out regularly and saw no particular reason to change their habits when traveling. Having guests over typically allows me an opportunity to take them to favorite little spots I've found in the time since they last visited, but my two Canadian friends wished to travel the state. I've not done a particularly great deal of exploring the rest of Arizona, so my knowledge of intriguing eateries outside of Phoenix is limited. It's certainly expanded in the last couple of weeks.

My first stop was to appease my quiche craving and take my one friend to Scratch. Her husband wasn't in town yet and I'd been raving about Scratch so much, we just had to stop. This was the first time I was vaguely disappointed. Our salads came with so many wilted or rotting leaves that we were only left with about half that was edible. The dressing still lived up to expectations. My friend's (we'll call her SC) sandwich of turkey, avocado and sprouts came with so few sprouts that SC was left with an impression of mushiness. And my beloved goat cheese quiche? It was no longer presented in it's square unique shape, but a more typical slice. And as you worked your way through it, there would be bizarre hot spots that were almost burnt. I believe my quiche may have been microwaved, but don't really want to admit so yet.

Our next spot for dinner the next day was Havana Cafe. We went to the older Camelback location and had a wonderful meal of tapas...all of which I'll explain next time.

0 comments: